Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Suicide is not Selfish

I've heard people say that committing suicide is selfish.  As I struggle with suicidal thoughts, I can tell you it's not selfish reasons that cause me to want to kill myself.  I can't speak for everyone, but I'm sure most people are like me - feeling hopeless, lost and alone. 

Asking for help is much easier said than done.  Who wants to be known as the depressed family member or friend on the verge of suicide?  Friends and family will treat you differently and constantly worry if you are having bad thoughts.  I like my alone time.  If my family & friends knew how often I had suicidal thoughts, they'd be checking on me every day if they didn't hear from me.  I think that would drive me over the edge.

What keeps me from attempting suicide?  My son.  I can't leave him like that.  I have to remind myself that I'm not alone - others have gone through what I've gone through or are struggling like I am now.  Going to church helps me feel less lost and less hopeless.

I have to take it one day at a time. 

Until I blog again . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment